New Radnor Village, Powys, old County of Powys. Location: off A44, 6m (10km) NW of Kington (see also Old Radnor). Description: Village set amongst peaceful hills and forests of border country. Local knowledge: Village was former borough and county town of Radnorshire. Memorial, in neo-Gothic style, to `her most distinguished son', politician George Cornewall Lewis; erected 1863. Castle: Substantial motte-and-bailey dates from 11th century; destroyed by Owain Glyndwr in early 15th century, but neverthless later garrisoned in the Civil War. Geography: At the southern approach to the Radnor Forest, an uninhabited expanse of upland partly clothed by conifer plantations. Historical site: Traces of original town walls survive. Village set amongst peaceful hills and forests of border country.